Penistone Grammar School
Penistone Grammar School was founded in 1392, when it is recorded that a gift of land was made by John Clarel, Lord of the Manor at Penistone, for the purpose of a school. The was rebuilt in 1702 and in 1892 the school withdrew from its town centre position and is now about half a mile north-west of the town centre. Around this time the school took fee-paying boarders, and had a strong reputation for mathematics and science, and a tradition of sending students to the University of Cambridge. The school remains on this site, however in the late 20th century the school ceased to be a grammar school, becoming one of the first neighbourhood comprehensive schools in the country. Although it retained its Grammar school name and traditions such as house system and speech night.