This small settlement, originally a hamlet, is found mid-way between Millhouse Green and Carlecotes. Its name refers to the settlement at the head of the hazel wood.
It once had a school but this was closed in the 1980s due to falling pupil numbers. It is in the Parish of Thurlstone St Saviours church, in the diocese of Sheffield, previously Wakefield. It is in the Civil Parish of Dunford.
There is a notoriously dangerous cross-road due to lack of visibility of fast traffic on Wham’s Lane. This has now been altered to allow a better view of such traffic.
The only building of note is the 17th century hall, once home of Adam Eyre who was active on Cromwell’s side in the English Civil Wars being a parliamentarian. His diaries covering 1647-49 can be read as they have been published by the Surtees Society. The Hall was restored in 1968 and is a large stone built house with Welsh slate roof. It is two stories high with an ashlar crenellated parapet. It is now a private home.
Hazlehead Railway Station
The Sheffield, Ashton-under- Lyne and Manchester Railway opened in July 1845, but there was no station at Hazlehead. After petitions from locals a station was built on 1st May 1846 named ‘Hazlehead’. The Huddersfield Omnibus stopped here for travellers going to Huddersfield. The station was closed on 1st November 1847 as a cost-cuttting exercise. The station re-opened in August 1850 and was re-named Hazlehead Bridge. It closed in March 1950 for passengers and then for freight in May 1964.