St. Saviour’s Church, Thurlstone

This beautiful Grade 11 listed church lies to the north of Penistone on Manchester Road, between the two villages it serves, Thurlstone and Millhouse Green.

The church was built in 1905 with generous bequests of the sisters Mary and Hannah Bray, on land given by Hugh S Thomasson of Plumpton House; the foundations stone was laid on 5th November 1904 by Sir Walter Spencer Stanhope, KCB of Cannon Hall Cawthorne. The walls of the church are local Millstone Grit lined inside with Red Hollington Sandstone, with pillars and arches of White Ancaster Limestone from Lincolnshire

The original design had a tower at the west end but due to lack of funds this was never completed.

THE BISHOPS CHAIR situated in the Sanctuary is this very fine oak bishop’s chair, beautifully carved with grapes and corn, symbols of the Last Supper.

The FONT originally placed in the south aisle at the west end of church as was customary, being as near as possible to the entrance. When baptism became part of regular Sunday services the font was moved to its more accessible position, left of the chancel steps. Given by the Sunday School, it has the inscription “Suffer the little children to come unto me”.

WAGGON ROOF TO NAVE AND CHANCEL In common with all the woodwork these are the most important part of the overall roof design The chancel roof in particular with diamond ribbing and carved bosses is tribute not only to Hodgson Fowler, but perhaps even more to the skill of local craftsmen, being executed by the firm of Hawley, of Penistone. These ceilings contribute in great part to the church’s excellent acoustic properties.

THE WAR MEMORIALS AND MEMORIAL CHAPEL On the south wall at the far end of the aisle is a brass memorial plate which commemorates the local men who lost their lives in the First World War. It was dedicated in March 1925.

PULPIT Like the rest of the woodwork the pulpit is part of the overall design and is made of English Oak, intricately and beautifully carved.

CLARA NOKES Creator of the wonderful reredos and bishop’s chair Clara Nokes was sister-in-law to the first vicar of Thurlstone, Rev. Campbell Sleigh Richardson MA.